Wellcome Collection unveils £17.5 million development plans
Wellcome Collection today unveiled a major £17.5m development project by Sterling Prize winning architects Wilkinson Eyre. The development, due for completion in autumn 2014, will create up to 30% more gallery space and reflects the overwhelming demand for the central London destination venue.
Wellcome Collection is noted for hosting high profile medical science related conferences and events as well as receptions from other corporate sectors and charities.
The investment will create a dramatic spiral staircase as the focal point for the galleries and will see The Medicine Now Gallery take centre stage for private hire evening receptions. The new spaces will reinforce Wellcome Collection’s premise for guests to explore the connections between medicine, life and art.
Wellcome Collection’s new galleries will be available for evening hire and can be used in conjunction with the available event spaces such as the stunning Henry Wellcome tiered auditorium for up 154 delegates. The Euston Road venue will remain open to the public throughout the development and will continue to curate a flexible programme of events and displays.
Rachel Cordier, Conference Centre Manager, Wellcome Conference Centres said: “We are delighted that the plans are now under way. This substantial investment in our product and on-going development will further strengthen our market presence and help us approach new customers and market sectors.”
For further information/images, please contact Triggerfish Communications on
Notes to editors:
Wellcome Collection, Euston Road
- The Wellcome Collection Conference Centre is a compact and carefully designed modern event space, which is fully accessible and open for business seven days a week.
- The venue’s centrepiece is the Henry Wellcome Auditorium, which is paired with the Williams Lounge to make a fantastic space for all types of events. Four smaller meeting rooms (Franks, Steel, Dale and Burroughs), all of which are flexible in set-up, are also available for hire. All rooms are finished to an extremely high specification – including computerised signage screens outside each room and built-in AV equipment – and are fully accessible, with built-in induction loops.
- The thought-provoking Medicine Now Gallery can be hired for an evening drinks reception. The gallery provides a truly unique backdrop that is especially conducive to networking and is ideal for giving attendees an unforgettable event experience.
- Conference Centre, Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK
- T +44 (0)20 7611 2200
Wellcome Trust Conference Centre, Hinxton
- Set in over 100 acres of parkland on the banks of the River Cam, the Wellcome Trust Conference Centre comprises a purpose-built conference centre and a Grade II* listed country house, Hinxton Hall.
- The state-of-the-art venue includes a 300-seat auditorium, a flexible 60-seat meeting room, and a self-contained training suite. All meeting rooms boast natural daylight and natural air ventilation.
- There are 72 bedrooms across the grounds, 10 in the Hall and 2 in a secluded cottage, with the remainder in the modern residences situated nearby.
- The extensive grounds offer space for outdoor events such as team building and are the perfect location for a marquee for larger events.
- Wellcome Trust Conference Centre, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1RQ
- Tel: +44 (0)1223 495 000