Construction of the Wellcome Trust Conference Centre residential block starts
£12m investment programme sees Wellcome Hinxton’s venue expansion begin
Stakeholders involved in the expansion of Wellcome Trust Genome Campus gathered on 2nd August for a ceremony that broke ground for the 64-room expansion.
The occasion marked the start of the first phase of Wellcome Hinxton’s expansion which will increase the existing hotel room capacity to 136 and see a restaurant extension that will seat up to 300 delegates.
The ceremony also heralded new plans for the next decade with Campus Director David Davison announcing: ”This is a first and major step towards achieving our plans to become the primary centre for supporting scientific research in the area. The conference centre will be at the heart of our public engagement programme delivery going forward.”
Rachel Cordier, Conference Centre Manager, Wellcome Conference Centres, said: “This substantial investment in our product and ongoing plans will give us a stronger market presence and help us approach new customers and market sectors. An increased room inventory, as well as a larger and improved restaurant, will also allow us to pitch for larger pieces of business which will in turn have a positive impact in Cambridgeshire’s economy.”
Set in over 100 acres of parkland on the banks of the River Cam, Wellcome Trust Conference Centre offers nine high specification conference and event rooms, suitable for discreet boardroom meetings, symposiums, company retreats and exhibitions. With its tranquil surroundings, the venue is also ideal for private events and milestone parties.
Photo caption: From left to right: Rachel Cordier, Conference Centre Manager, Wellcome Conference Centres; David Davison, Genome Campus Director; Rob Carter, Managing Director, RG Carter Construction Ltd; Bruce Nepp, Senior Architect, Abell Nepp.
For further information/images, please contact Triggerfish Communications on 02072339700
Notes to editors
Wellcome Trust Conference Centre, Hinxton
- Set in over 100 acres of parkland on the banks of the River Cam, the Wellcome Trust Conference Centre comprises a purpose-built conference centre and a Grade II* listed country house, Hinxton Hall.
- The state-of-the-art venue includes a 300-seat auditorium, a flexible 60-seat meeting room, and a self-contained training suite. All meeting rooms boast natural daylight and natural air ventilation.
- There are 72 bedrooms across the grounds, 10 in the Hall and 2 in a secluded cottage, with the remainder in the modern residences situated nearby.
- The extensive grounds offer space for outdoor events such as team building and are the perfect location for a marquee for larger events.
- Wellcome Trust Conference Centre, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1RQ
- Tel: +44 (0)1223 495 000